POSTING DATE: AUGUST 22, 2023
CHILD & FAMILY CENTRE ASSISTANT
ONE (1) PERMANENT PART-TIME POSITION
EAR FALLS OR RED LAKE, ONTARIO
Competition #EY 23-30
Dedicated to improving lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is the integrated service delivery agency providing help and support when you need it. With forward thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
We are currently seeking to hire one (1) permanent, part-time Child & Family Centre Assistant, located in Ear Falls or Red Lake, Ontario, to join our Early Years team (some travel between Ear Falls and Red Lake will be required, with the exact schedule based on community needs). Our employees enjoy a health work environment, development opportunities, and an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
24 hours/week, Monday – Saturday (exact schedule/days of work will be discussed with supervisor and based on community needs). On occasion, hours may be increased up to 30 hours weekly.
Reporting to the Child & Family Centre Quality Assurance and Training Coordinator, the Child & Family Centre Assistant is responsible for assisting the Child & Family Centre RECE with the planning and implementing of all aspects of the Centre, to ensure smooth operations. Also responsible for welcoming and interacting with all users, and encouraging/aiding children in their discovery of toys/resources.
Key responsibilities include:
- Implements programming based on emergent curriculum and the Ministry of Education’s document “How Does Learning Happen? Ontario’s Pedagogy for the Early Years”.
- Greets parents, children and staff members to the Centre; assists children in creative play at their respective levels; cleans up area/playroom after use; provides community information to parents.
- Assists in playroom set up and learning centres.
- Unpacks new equipment/materials, etc., records and stores.
- Assists Coordinator in proofing newsletters; prepares reports on conferences attended.
- Carries out creative activities with children and parents on a casual basis and through scheduled programs and workshops.
- May be responsible for opening and locking facility in Coordinator’s absence.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- Participate in ongoing professional development opportunities such as workshops, conferences and meetings. Prepare report and share with colleagues and/or staff information learned during these opportunities.
- Take an active role in regular network and team/staff meetings as required.
- Support KDSB Early Learning Programs when required.
- May provide input on student evaluations during placements in extended absences of Coordinator and in consultation/approval from the Early Years Quality Assurance Coordinator.
- Collaborate with others in maintaining a positive working environment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Successful candidates will have:
- One (1) year experience in a childcare setting preferred.
- First Aid, including Infant and Child CPR, or ability to obtain.
- Up to date immunization record, including TB skin test, or ability to obtain.
- Safe Food Handling certificate, or ability to obtain.
Qualifications will include:
- Completion of High School Diploma (or equivalent).
- A satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check must be provided.
- A valid Ontario Class G (or equivalent) driver’s license preferred (if no license, must be able to arrange for reliable transportation).
Along with an excellent benefit package and optional participation in the OMERS pension plan, the hourly wage for this position is $21.01. Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by email, referencing the competition number in the subject line of the e-mail, to the:
Human Resources Department
Kenora District Services Board
THIS POSTING WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal opportunity employer.