POSTING DATE: JANUARY 17, 2024
REGULAR, FULL-TIME POSITION
RED LAKE, ONTARIO
Competition #ISS 24-02
Dedicated to improving lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is the integrated service delivery agency providing help and support when you need it. With forward-thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
We are currently seeking to hire two (2) Regular, Full-Time Shelter Attendants located in Red Lake, Ontario to join our Integrated Social Services (ISS) team. Our employees enjoy a healthy work environment, professional development, and an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Shelter Attendant In-Charge, the Shelter Attendant is responsible for providing care and supervision to patrons at the emergency shelter.
Key responsibilities include:
- Complete daily intakes and notes any illnesses, appointments, or specific information for patrons.
- Responsible for the implementation of programming based on the KDSB Shelter Standards guide.
- Responsible for supporting daily shelter operations, and programming with patrons to ensure a safe and welcoming environment.
- Collaborate with partnering community agencies who provide programming and support to the patrons accessing the emergency shelter.
- Maintain a positive environment by following procedures of the emergency shelter and the KDSB Shelter Standards guide. Applies directives consistently to provide appropriate limits and positive reinforcement of acceptable behaviour.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the shelter by sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping. Maintains cupboards, shelves, books, and other equipment, restocking various supplies as required. Disinfects washrooms, surfaces, and equipment as required.
- Administers first aid as required and fills out our correct incident and ill health forms as per policy guidelines.
- Supervise patrons to ensure their safety and well-being. Monitors and reports a patron’s health and well-being to the Shelter Attendant In-Charge or designate.
- Responds to patron questions and concerns about daily activities and behaviour. Refers major concerns and problems to the Shelter Attendant In-Charge or designate.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Successful candidates will have:
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, program policies, directives, and procedures.
- Knowledge of the KDSB Shelter Standards and Coordinated Access.
- Knowledge and understanding of factors impacting homelessness.
- Understanding, awareness and inclusion of all cultures within programming.
Qualifications will include:
- Successful completion of High School Diploma.
- Experience working with a diverse population.
- Experience working in the homelessness field is an asset.
- Obtain Safe Food Handling certification.
- A current First Aid, including Infant/Child CPR.
- An up-to-date Immunization records.
- A satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
Along with an excellent benefits package and participation in the OMERS pension plan, the hourly wage for this position is $23.35 (2023 rate, subject to change). Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and resume by email, referencing the competition number in the subject line of the e-mail to the:
Human Resources Department
Kenora District Services Board
This posting will remain open until filled.
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal opportunity employer.