POSTING DATE: MAY 18, 2023
REGISTERED EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATOR OR CHILD CARE WORKER
ONE (1) PERMANENT FULL-TIME POSITION
RED LAKE, ONTARIO
Competition #EY 23-32
Dedicated to improving lives, the Kenora District Services Board (KDSB) is the integrated service delivery agency providing help and support when you need it. With forward thinking and engaged employees, we deliver Ontario Works, Social Housing, Early Learning and Child Care, and Land Ambulance to current and future clients.
We are currently seeking to hire one (1) Permanent Full-Time, Registered ECE or Child Care Worker located in Red Lake, Ontario to join our Early Years team. Our employees enjoy a healthy work environment, development opportunities, and an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of others.
Reporting to the Registered Early Childhood Educator in Charge, the Registered ECE or Child Care Worker is responsible for providing care and supervision to children ages 0 to 12 at the Early Learning Centre, through the planning and implementation of a program conducive to their emotional, physical, social and intellectual development.
Key responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the “How Does Learning Happen” document is being implemented within program spaces.
- Ensures that books, toys and equipment are in safe and functional repair and reports to Quality Assurance Coordinator any needed repairs. Keeps all play areas, indoors and outdoors equipment clean, safe, orderly and aesthetically pleasing.
- Administers first aid as required and fills out correct incident and ill health forms as per policy guidelines.
- Maintains positive discipline by following procedures of Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014. Applies directives consistently to provide appropriate limits and positive reinforcement of acceptable behaviour.
- Educates children on safety, evacuation and fire drill procedures and assists in carrying out drills.
- Exchanges information with parents regarding children’s needs and schedules. Responds to parent questions and concerns about child’s daily activities and behaviour. Refers major concerns and problems to the Quality Assurance Coordinator or designate.
- Assists children in maintaining correct hygiene procedures such as washing hands and face, changing soiled pants, etc. and assists and instructs children in mastering basic self-sufficiency skills such as dressing and personal hygiene. Conducts and assures adherence to scheduled day care routines such as washroom, lunch time, snack time, dressing, rest time and play time.
- Actively participates in daily programming, responding to children’s individual needs and interests.
- Completes and files reports regarding non routine occurrences (such as accidents, illness) as required in conjunction with Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014.
- Monitors and reports children’s health and well-being to the Resource Consultant or designate.
- Cleans playrooms by sweeping, vacuuming and mopping. Maintains cupboards, shelves, books, toys and other equipment, restocking craft containers, supplies, books, etc. Disinfects washroom, toys and equipment as required.
Successful candidates will have or be able to:
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education, or willingness to obtain (qualifications can be obtained while working full-time; grants available to help support costs)
- Registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators, or ability to register upon completion of Early Childhood Educator program from a recognized educational institute.
- One (1) year experience in an early years or childcare program
- Up to date immunization record, including TB Skin Test
- Current First Aid, including Child/Infant CPR.
- Provide a satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check.
- A valid Ontario Class “G” license preferred.
Along with an excellent benefit package and participation in the OMERS pension plan, we offer an hourly wage of $21.01 – $29.54 (wage based on ECE qualifications). Interested applicants are invited to submit a cover letter and resume, by email, referencing the competition number in the subject line of the e-mail on or before June 1, 2023, at 4:00pm local time to the:
Human Resources Department
Kenora District Services Board
While all responses are appreciated, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Confidential information provided by applicants will be used for the purpose of this competition only and will be protected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
The KDSB will make accommodations available wherever possible to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. The KDSB is an equal opportunity employer.